As many journalists (especially young ones) are keenly aware, being a utility player in these days of multimedia journalism is more than an asset. It's the key to survival. ("Adapt or die-eeeeeee!")
I studied print journalism. I love print journalism. I am an old soul and wish people would read past the jump and give the typewriter the respect she deserves. Moving pictures were more than just Greek to me. They were Swiss-Klingon.
But I am nothing if not versatile (in my humble opinion)-- I enjoy and occasionally practice still photography, and I am proud of my modest Webby skills. So I decided to learn how to make video packages to complement what we nowadays call "the Web product."
On April 11, I went back to Tucson and my alma mater, the University of Arizona, to participate in a one-day video bootcamp. Here are the fruits of my labor.
I think I did pretty well, considering I had never before touched Final Cut and spent a few tense moments trying to figure out how to rewind or why my picture was black (stoopit lens cap).
I was getting soundly battered during the editing process, but I got out alive. And I will (eventually) forgive my loved ones who say, "you don't have a strong broadcast voice." Now that I know I can make a functional news video, I am more than just a little psyched on the idea.
See many more student videos here.